Friday, November 03, 2006

the savage homosexual hyena

When will we get it? Really? When? Why must we make the same mistakes and the same self-righteous proclamations as those who oppose us? I expect a lot out of the people I align myself with and consider part of my group of people. Once again, I am let down and embarrassed by our group mentality and behavior. In this instance, I am referring to the situation around Rev. Ted Haggard.
First off, let me admit that I am not immune to the lesser reactions that are the most pervasive. Part of me does get a sick thrill out of seeing those (I am not referring to Haggard in this instance, as I knew nothing of him before yesterday) who slander the gay community caught up in their hypocrisy, lies, and less than idealized actions. And, I always believe (almost always) that truth should be told, no matter who the truth is.
In that instance, I don’t mind, if the accusations are indeed true, for the truth should be spoken. When you are in the public eye and in a leadership role, such is the risk that is taken knowingly. People in such position must be more careful than the average man with their words, behaviors, and actions. However, they are just that: Man. They are fallible, wounded, imperfect, and beautiful.
What disgusts me is how we fall upon these fellow humans with all the tact, care, and humanity of rabid hyenas. And for what? To be vindictive? To get revenge? Oh, I know, we say we are doing it to show the true lives of those who would condemn us and bring to light their implied similarity to us (indeed their darker nature than ours [I am not calling homosexuality a darker nature—I am referring to the aspects of humans that are harmful]). I feel our excuse is a lie, or a way to deceive ourselves. Who are we convincing that gays and lesbians should have equal rights by going on a witch hunt? A pastor or politian who lives a secret, double life, often in direct opposition of what they proclaim the most is not news. It is common place. Especially in our generation. We grew up with pastor after pastor and politian after politian having to resign their position in shame and controversy. And guess what, most conservatives (of which I am one—to a point) still believe gay people do not deserve equal rights, and most church going people believe that gays, by definition, will go to Hell. Outing someone and reveling in their shattered lives only excites those who were against them to begin with. Their followers and supports only have more ammunition against the ‘evilness’ that is us, how strongly we ‘corrupt’ others.
When we will learn? MLK spoke of honor, integrity, compassion, righteousness, strength, power, and peace and love over forty years ago. We still have no idea how to live up to those expectations! Do we truly believe that we will gain our rights and convince others of our equality by attacks, hate, and screaming?
Someone compared my attitude to Pollyanna today, in a belittling, negative way. Well, maybe they should watch the movie again. That annoying little brat changed an entire town—Disney style. What could be gayer than that! Hallelujah!
Instead of reveling in the destruction of a man and his family (regardless of how he may or may not have treated us or our cause), let us focus on having the best among us attain leadership positions and rally for our community to live lives that shout to the world that that we are not only equal, but that we are an asset to humanity and a truly amazing group of people. After all, the truth should be shown at all times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.