Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rush to the firing squad

“I’m dreaming of riots in Denver,” sang less than melodiously to the tune of “Dreaming of a White Christmas.” Who re-mastered this Christmas classic? Osama? Hitler? Jerry Falwell? No. Of course not. All of them can carry a tune. It was crooned by Rush Limbaugh.
For over a week, he has talked about how he wants riots and violence in Denver’s streets during the Democratic Convention this year. It is one more angle in his Project Chaos, a movement to help overthrow the Democrat party. In his way of thinking, it would show what type of people make up the Democrat party and help insure the election of a Republican candidate. (Especially interesting since he can’t stand McCain—If there was ever a higher complement to McCain I have yet to hear it.)
I remember as a kid when people in the Bible Belt looked at Rush as some type of hero. I went a long with that train of thought. Without knowing anything of politics or the world, I recall looking at his books in bookstores and hoping that I could be a great man like him one day. The thought makes me want to vomit. I have long been used to seeing him as a self-indulgent, self-loving, public masturbating (which typically is a good thing) of his ego, self obsessed quack and have been able to shrug off his latest rant or rave. This latest tirade hit me a little more seriously. By the time I was done listening to my talk radio (which was sort of condemning his comment and yet veraciously taking up for Rush) I was screaming and cursing in my car. The amount of people who called in who were supporting the comment (people in Denver!) and making excuse after excuse of why Rush’s comments were justified complete sickened me.
In a day and age where we have mass shootings and killings more often than Elton John includes pink and green polkadots in his ensemble, it is unfathomable for a human (he is not a Man) who is to so many a hero to the ‘American way of life’ to encourage riots or talk about how he is dreaming of seeing violence in another American city. It is also bewildering to me how Howard Stern and Imus lost their shows (even if for a moment) and Rush is still allowed to walk into a studio.
I am much more Republican than I am Democrat in most areas. I can’t imagine how those on the far Left feel about his comments. Even more so, I can’t believe no one is truly nailing this asshole to the wall.
What kind of society are we?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know I make you sick sometimes with my politics too. But unfortunately he is only observing a trend that has been happening over the past years of course using his own style--you know--Rush Limbaugh--so he just "makes you mad" even if he says hello it can piss ya off... take a look at the issues he is talking about and maybe listen to Laura Ingram for a bit for the conservative perspective as she is much less brash. Sadly even with his brashness, he is usually correct and when he is not he does retract.

Are you familiar with this group?
http://www.recreate68.org/  not good. I am more worried about groups that wish to recreate what happened in Chicago in 1968 than I am with Rush's observations and his predictable style in his show. If anyone wants to re-create what happened back then that is not a good sign, and these groups have been forming WAY before his comments. These groups hide under the premise of free speech when their real intention is to incite violence.

We need to be careful who we "rush" to the firing squad as the focus of who is to blame may be misplaced.