Sunday, September 16, 2007

Father's Love

My parents are amazing cooks. My dad was the one that taught my mom to cook. In return, they both taught me. Between them, they can make anything. One of the simpler things dad makes is French fries. They are perfect. Just the right thickness. Just the right crunchiness. Just the right amount of salt. Whenever we sat down at the table for dinner (we ate dinner together every single night of my life) and had French fries, before Dad would eat any of his food, he would take my plate and sit it before himself. He then would arrange my French fries into rows on my plate. With the catsup bottle, like the red plastic ones you find in diners, he would then proceed to decorate each individual French fry with a design, each as unique as a snowflake. Whenever I eat lunch with my kids that I teach and we have French fries and I am moved to demonstrate how much I love them, I decorate their French fries with catsup.

No comments: