Thursday, August 28, 2008

Simple Hero

Since I don’t feel like the five or six magazines that I subscribe to are enough, I, at times, see a magazine cover at the checkout stand of the grocery store that I have add to my attempt of single handedly destroying the rainforest with pictures of celebrities. Such was the case when I saw this week’s issue of People magazine. On the COVER was Ellen and her new wife Portia. On the inside was a four double page spread (that’s eight pages for those of you attempting to multiply2x4—I know it’s not easy, the other day I wrote 8x3=18 on the board during my math class---Thank God for that Master’s Degree—Blech).
I was struck by several things. One, how beautiful both of them are and how gorgeous their wedding was. Two, how perfect the ceremony seemed, it made me like Ellen even more. It was a simple and elegant at home wedding with nineteen or so family and friends in attendance, no huge stars, just those who were truly close to the brides.
The main thing I was struck with is that I wasn’t seeing this article in one of my political or bubble gum gay mags that I subscribe too. It was in People! Granted, it wasn’t Newsweek, Time, or Evangelicals Anonymous, but still! I take it as a huge sign of a brighter future to come.
Last week at the gym, the Ellen show was on the TV in the locker room. There were about seven or eight of us in there. An older man (foreign, I couldn’t place his accent, Swedish, or some such) stood up on his bench, I’m not sure why, and started asking everyone which one was the wife and which one was the husband, repeatedly. Finally, he finished by looking at one man in particular and saying, “I tell you, some people are just sick.” I think I was the only one who was gay in the locker room, so I was surprised when no one spoke up in agreement or added to the situation. Everyone looked at him in a mix of bewilderment and repulsion. Of course, such a response was necessary from the fact of him standing on the bench to address the room. Too bad he was fully dressed, that would have added some irony to the story. . .
I am sure cynics would say that the People feature isn’t much of a success. They would say that Ellen is benign, that people don’t really see her as a real lesbian; she is just Ellen an enigma of sorts. I say that is what makes her so perfect! That’s what the average gay man and lesbian are. They are just people. The beautiful thing about Ellen, unlike Rosie who got bitter and harsh in her voice and appearance after coming out, continues to get brighter, softer, and happier. She is one of few true heroes that the gay culture has. It will be interesting to see what happens to the marriage initiative this November in California. Maybe people won’t care, but People magazine let Ellen and Portia show the world what exactly would be outlaw from fear, prejudice, and hatred.
Thank you, People, for giving adequate coverage of a real, genuine, and loving couple.
Thank you, Ellen and Portia, for your shinning example of gay marriage to our culture and your brave contributions to life. Best wishes on your marriage and your life together!

No comments: