Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Action

Every time I drive by a group of protestors, whether I am by myself or with someone else, I always scoff.  What good do they think they are doing?  Why don’t they go do something useful with their time?  Do they really think making people honk their horns is really going to bring about world peace?  If anything, their ranting, raving, ridiculous signs only make me want to go the opposite of whatever they are trying to shove down my throat.  Go War!!!.  Oh, wait. . .

This Saturday, I will be one of the ridiculous time-wasters.  Probably with a picket sign.  Not sure how this works.  I got home from working out, and started the prep for my made-up recipe for coconut baked chicken (cross your fingers, I hope it’s good) and got an email from my friend GG.  It told of a protest going on this Saturday at 11:30 (at the Capitol, I think) in response to the passing of Proposition 8 in California.  I believe it is happening nationwide, but that might just be my imagination. 

The minute I read the email, I thought, “Oh Shit!  I’m gonna be in a protest.  I hate myself.”  For the first time, I understand why other people do it.  Do I really think someone is going to see me and suddenly change their stance on gay rights, on gay marriage, on gays being human?  No.  I don’t.  Hopefully, but no. . . However, I have to do something.  I don’t have $100,000 to donate to the cause, I don’t have any power, there are only two people that read this blog, but this I can do.  I can stand, powerless and stupid, and do all I have in my power to show how angry I am for being denied the rights of every other American, and hope that someone will see a spark of humanity in this thirty year old faggot that will make them think twice. 

I have thought that I was totally out of the closet to everyone, never a second of doubt or hesitation.  Even now, however, I can’t help but think, “What if I get on the news?  What if a riot breaks out, what if some extremist tries to take us out with a gun or bomb, what if only two of us show up?”  My answer.  Well, fuck it!  I’ve been ranting for years that no one in the gay community truly seems to take any real action.  Maybe holding a stupid glitter sign and chanting some fairy rhyme will be the first step. 

Would love to have you join us. 

No comments: