Thursday, June 18, 2009

Perdido Sin Ti

For once, I actually got up on time today and worked out and now I am ready to go on to the writing. Thank goodness for being able to get lost in a world of fantasy instead of having to constantly look at my own life. (Today is the 18th, which means it has been two months. Can you believe it? It seems like years. I’m ready for this game to be over now. Can’t he just say, “April fools!” and come back to his home to the man who wants to give him his life?)

So, I have nothing really to say, at least nothing that I haven’t said about twenty-five billion times in the past few months. So, here is a random bit of trivia for you.

Since Chad left, I have been spending an exorbitant amount of time with my parents. As my ‘sanity’ and my writing time has increased, the time with them has decreased lately, but still. My dad is the quintessential channel flipper when he is watching television. It’s really rather ridiculous. If I am not there, mom won’t watch it with him, and my brother gets truly furious—which, in and of itself is humorous. There is one exception to Dad’s compulsive channel surfing. There are five or so Spanish channels. Every time. Every single time, Dad pauses on each one. Sometimes for a couple minutes. Often he looks a little confused; sometimes he is truly interested in what they are showing. However, after a bit (as I said, minutes in some cases), he realizes that they are speaking Spanish and that he can’t understand them. Then he changes the channel. At first, I found this odd because he kinda has a problem with there being Spanish-speaking channels to begin with. Now, however, I find it fascinating and a little disturbing at the frequency that this occurs, and how he seems like he has never done it before. I don’t know if he subconsciously has some attraction to the Spanish station, or if there is some mental block that makes it impossible for him to accept and remember that they exist in abundance on channels ten through twenty. I promise you, we have watched several movies (that have been dubbed in Spanish) for quite an extended period of time with me just sitting on the couch, watching dad, wondering when he will realize he has no idea what they are saying. I think he has become so accustom to his world not making sense with his oldest son being an overly tattooed homosexual, and his youngest son probably having a child in the next couple months. A channel that rambles on incessantly probably just feels like another typical moment in his life.

1 comment:

aaronash said...

That is great stuff.