Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Assignment during teacher meeting week...

I Am From

I am from fried chicken and mashed potatoes
Gathering on the porch savoring strawberries and pie crust

I am from the deafening symphony of crickets chirping, toads croaking, locus screeching
All encompassed by the magical lighting bugs twinkling as bats swoop overhead

I am from chicken feathers, the call of peacocks, the grazing of buffalo
From the cages of lizards, rabbits, and hamsters, and the love of a squirrel named Scamper

I am from sweaty summer days, shirts sticking to the skin
From frigid icy nights, toasty warm under heated blankets

I am from Praise Jesus, Trust and be healed
A life kept in secret

I am from a treasure trove of girly toys, husky slacks since jeans wouldn’t fit
From Quit Breathing—Brandon, you’re breathing

I am from the fear of cancer, becoming a familiar acquaintance of death
A constant companion of loss, of those who are loved leaving

I am from being held so tightly, being valued above all else
Formed into false perfection

I am from family always first
The Solid Rock, Unbroken around the thrown

No comments: