Thursday, August 27, 2009

the night visitor

I was leaving the building. It was late, probably around ten or eleven at night. It was unusually dark and hazy. I was mumbling about how much money I had to pay, wondering how I was going to make ends meet. I noticed the tall man make his way down the light post. I didn’t think much about him. He was probably just fixing some problem or another with the light. He murmured something back, seemingly mocking my muffled ranting about money, but I let it go—I just wanted to get home. I turned left down the ally. I couldn’t make out the end, it was too dark, but I knew it was there. There were a couple dumpsters on my left and I glance at them as I past, noticing how I could barely make out their shape in the shadows. I felt him before I heard him. A low, growling mutter, again mocking me. My heart pounding, I turned around. His face was inches from mine, looking down at me. He was backlit by the street lamp blocking out his features, but I could tell he was beautiful, tall, swimmer’s build, and I was positive if I could have seen his face it would be beautiful. Beautiful and dangerous. Fear flooded through me, causing me to pause in terror. Although I couldn’t see it, he’s lips curved into a hungry smile. As his face lunged towards mine, I could see his eyes. His eyes piercing into mine.
I shot straight up in bed, hearing the scream for mom before I realized it had come from me. I looked around my dark bedroom. The clock showed a bright red Two AM exactly. Again, I looked around my room, disturbed and scared, still not completely sure where I was or what had just occurred. Taking in each corner of the room from the violated safety of the bed, revealed that I was alone, again. I was the only one in the room. I lay back down, the man’s eyes shining behind my closed lids, the cry for mom echoing in my ears, the arms of fear and loneliness enveloping me more securely than the blankets were able.

No comments: