Thursday, July 22, 2010

ode to flour and eggs

The countdown is on. Tomorrow begins the cake-making marathon. We will see what comes of it. I’m excited. Of course, I am taking off the evening to go on a date. I’m also excited about that. Of course, we have all learned you mustn’t count chickens. I could easily get blown off. Luckily, there will be lots of icing around the house to console myself with should that event transpire.
I’ve gone a little overboard on my nephew’s birthday. I’m not gonna say how much overboard, but there’s lot of bills that I’ll have to catch up on next month—when I say ‘catch up on,’ please be assured I really don’t mean caught up. And a massage appointment I was counting on to help me buy cake supplies canceled. He always cancels. In a moment of clamish panic, I thought and thought. What can I sell to get enough to get rest of the cake supplies? I’ve sold DVD’s before to get gas, but really, that’s just a waste. You get less than it would cost to rent them. Then it hit me. The laundry change bucket! I keep a container by the wash because I never, ever remember to empty my pockets. There’s always washed paper towels (I don’t use Klenex), ticket stubs, telephone numbers—all of which gets ruined. However, the change comes out very nicely once it enters the dryer. And then it’s clean to boot! Used to drive he-who-must-not-be-named crazy. I’d had the container there for years, and we were constantly dipping into it when we would go downtown and need parking money and such.
I took my little ‘bucket’ to the bank. They didn’t have a change counter. Seriously? I took my little ‘bucket’ to Safeway. They did. Seriously! I thought I had about twenty bucks, but I was crossing my fingers it might add up to forty. One hundred and two! That’s right, folks! We’re gonna have a cake! Woo-hoo!
I’m seriously considered staring my own fountain cleaning business so that I can get all the change. How fun!
And, no, I’ve never done well at those games where you have to guess how much of whatever is in the jar.

No comments: